# Enable two-factor authentication
Two-factor authentication (2FA) adds an extra layer of security to your Chainstack account. Once enabled, you will be prompted to enter a code generated by your mobile device each time you log in.
You can use apps like Authy, Google Authenticator, or Microsoft Authenticator.
To enable 2FA:
- Go to the personal settings page.
- In Security, click Enable two-factor authentication.
- Provide your current password. Click Next.
- Download, print, or copy your 2FA recovery codes. These are the backup codes that you will need to restore your 2FA access if you lose it.
- Scan the QR code with your authenticator app or enter the code manually.
- Enter the code provided by the authenticator app in the 2FA wizard. Click Enable 2FA.
The 2FA recovery codes are shown once and cannot be retrieved.
Make sure you keep the recovery codes secure.